In low-pressure-turbines (LPT) at design point around 60–70% of losses are generated in the blade boundary layers far from end-walls, while the remaining 30%–40% is controlled by the interaction of the blade profile with the end-wall boundary layer. Increasing attention is devoted to these flow regions in industrial design processes. Experimental techniques have shed light on the mechanism that controls the growth of the secondary vortices, and scale-resolving CFD have provided a detailed insight into the vorticity generation. Along these lines, this paper discusses the end-wall flow characteristics of the T106 profile with parallel end-walls at realistic LPT conditions, as described in the experimental setup of Duden and Fottner (1997) “Influence of Taper, Reynolds Number and Mach Number on the Secondary Flow Field of a Highly Loaded Turbine Cascade”, P. I. Mech. Eng. A-J. Pow., 211 (4), pp.309–320. The simulations target first the same inlet conditions as documented in the experiments, and determines the impact of the incoming boundary layer thickness by running additional cases with modified incoming boundary layers. Calculations are carried out by both RANS, due to its continuing role as the design verification workhorse, and highly-resolved LES. Part II of the paper focuses on the loss generation associated with the secondary end-wall vortices. Entropy generation and the consequent stagnation pressure losses are analyzed following the aerodynamic investigation carried out in the companion paper. The ability of classical turbulence models generally used in RANS to discern the loss contributions of the different vortical structures is discussed in detail and the attainable degree of accuracy is scrutinized with the help of LES and the available test data. The purpose is to identify the flow features that require further modelling efforts in order to improve RANS/URANS approaches and make them able to support the design of the next generation of LPTs.
LES and RANS Analysis of the End-Wall Flow in a Linear LPT Cascade With Variable Inlet Conditions: Part II — Loss Generation
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
Marconcini, M, Pacciani, R, Arnone, A, Michelassi, V, Pichler, R, Zhao, Y, & Sandberg, R. "LES and RANS Analysis of the End-Wall Flow in a Linear LPT Cascade With Variable Inlet Conditions: Part II — Loss Generation." Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo 2018: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition. Volume 2B: Turbomachinery. Oslo, Norway. June 11–15, 2018. V02BT41A024. ASME. https://doi.org/10.1115/GT2018-76450
Download citation file: