This paper presents the first attempt to stabilize rotating stall in a single-stage transonic axial flow compressor with inlet distortion using active feedback control. The experiments were conducted at the NASA Lewis Research Center on a single-stage transonic core compressor inlet stage. An annular array of 12 jet-injectors located upstream of the rotor tip was used for forced response testing and to extend the compressor stable operating range. Results for radial distortion are reported in this paper. First, the effects of radial distortion on the compressor performance and the dynamic behavior were investigated. Control laws were designed using empirical transfer function estimates determined from forced response results. The transfer functions indicated that the compressor dynamics are decoupled with radial inlet distortion, as they are for the case of undistorted inlet flow. Single-input-single-output (SISO) control strategies were therefore used for the radial distortion controller designs. Steady axisymmetric injection of 4 percent of the compressor mass flow resulted in a reduction in stalling mass flow of 9.7 percent relative to the case with inlet distortion and no injection. Use of a robust H∞ controller with unsteady nonaxisymmetric injection achieved a further reduction in stalling mass flow of 7.5 percent, resulting in a total reduction of 17.2 percent.
Rotating Stall Control in a High-Speed Stage With Inlet Distortion: Part I—Radial Distortion
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Search Site
Spakovszky, Z. S., Weigl, H. J., Paduano, J. D., van Schalkwyk, C. M., Suder, K. L., and Bright, M. M. (July 1, 1999). "Rotating Stall Control in a High-Speed Stage With Inlet Distortion: Part I—Radial Distortion." ASME. J. Turbomach. July 1999; 121(3): 510–516. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2841345
Download citation file: